Friday, June 6, 2008

The Missing Mystery Notebook

Today's blog title, courtesy of Madeleine.



My 9-year-old daughter wrote a chapter book, as I mentioned. Yesterday she read it at a schoolwide author's presentation. The real mystery is when did she learn this stuff? Foreshadowing. Recurring themes. Snappy dialogue. A moral, and a redemptive ending, for Pete's sake.

Miss Sarah also favored us with a reading of her lately published non-fiction booklet on the subject of Polar Bears. The audience was enthralled with her compilation of little-known (to second-graders, and okay, me too) facts. "During the course of my research..." she began. What 7-year-old talks like that?

We can pretend (if you want to play along) that I'm objective. Or not.

It might be kinda wrong if I wasn't all puffed up, right? Wrong? Right.

I am so excited for the summer. It isn't very cool of me, I know. I should feign some harried motherhood dread about having all four kids in the house and yard and Suburban all the long, hot, cranky days of the season. But give me a minute with my joy, why doncha? I'm bound to whine at you later, and you're welcome to say you told me so.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Just to get this out of the way:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!
'Cuz I am sassy like that.


I can't wait for all the fun days of summer;lounging in your back yard, snuggled around the fire pit and family movie nights.

Ah, summer.......

Misty said...

That's awesome!
Something about having a parent who writes and reads religiously... I don't know... :P

But yay! And yes, you have a right...