Friday, July 30, 2010

Slow parenting


Thursday I predicted a 10-pound weigh-in for Salvador's one-month appointment.
.
At two weeks he weighed 8 pounds 2 ounces and he ate without ceasing for the two weeks following that. So at one month old he weighs 10 pounds, 9 ounces. Is this some kind of record? I am pretty sure it is, in our family anyway.
.
Also? His belly button is a perfect little cinnamon roll. He sleeps like such a boy with his arms flung up and his t-shirt riding high. His hair is spiky and wavy after a bath. He's a precocious smiler and cuddly as can be.
.
Another thing I know: I won't always be this exclusive in my focus. One day, fairly soon, I'll remember that I have a garden to tend (or put to bed, at this rate) and a bunch of animals to work with and school curriculum to choose and laundry to do. But for today, and probably tomorrow too, I'll keep watching the baby's eyelashes grow. I'll measure his growth by ounces in my arms.
.
Blink and he'll be 20 pounds. Blink once more and he'll be reading Tom Sawyer.
.
So I'll try to blink slowly. Like the slow food movement, only for parenting.

No comments: