Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'm not over it

I still have an overwhelming sense of peace and gratitude (despite the Great Coffee Incident of 2009) that I brought home with me from the Sylvia Beach Hotel.


That's the best possible form of getaway, for me. The kind that comes back with me a newborn fluffy bird which spreads its wings in relief and warmth and recognition of home.

While I was gone I received a real estate call on the dread batphone, a referral from my favorite independent bookstore owners. The Bookmine in Cottage Grove doesn't have a web site, but it does have a small organic plant nursery and several comfy couches. It doesn't have seven levels covering one city block, but it does have a corner filled with vintage Little People for my little people to play with while I read. It doesn't have air conditioning or flourescent lights or many other modern conveniences... but it does "have" Gail and Birdie, sisters I've known my entire life who have run the bookstore nearly as long as I've been alive.

So when Gail sends me someone who wants to talk about moving to our area, I consider it an introduction to a possible friend. Even on vacation, I'll take that call.

I met a writer and her writer partner on that call. I learned about their dreams and hopes for a second home on small acreage with a big garden and room for a big table on which the two of them write but not enough room for a lot of visitors.

That part made me laugh.

Anyway I just want to say that even though I'm still working real estate I found my rose-colored glasses again. Certainly the financing woes and the sheer incompetence of many in the field and the agonies of buyers and sellers at huge financial turning points ... surely those things will rear their ugly heads. But just as surely I am a person at peace. I brought it home with me and I don't plan to let this particular bird fly too far.

4 comments:

mrs darling said...

Id love to take a vacation to the beach! So glad you found your rose colored glasses!

Anonymous said...

After writing for 5 years about what ever 'they' told me to I felt like a tired parrot with no talent.

I didn't write for 3 years. Then slowly it started seeping out and I began the blog and a book.

My glasses are rose again too. It's nice to fall back in love with something.

Too bad I'm not making money at it anymore, but that's the price of love :)

Barb Matijevich said...

Hey, are you going to do NaNoWriMo with me this year? http://www.nanowrimo.org

Only no breaking any hips this year, okay?

Vickie said...

Oh the picture of the bird, clouds, water, and sand put me in the mood for the beach. Ok, it doesn't take much to put me in the mood for the beach. lol Oh by the way reading through your blog I had to chuckle over the coffee and kibble bit. Sorry :( Take Care :)