Monday, August 17, 2009

Heirloom tomatoes and other sun worshipers

I heart heirloom tomatoes.
And sunflowers, especially the volunteers.


The unfurling promise of a tiny seed turned into a giant flower.


So glad the birds didn't get this one.

Our personal drought at the Suite homestead seems to have regulated itself. I can water the garden every third day as long as I don't also care to do any dishes or laundry on that day. And you know I don't mind that arrangement!
In other self sufficiency news, I am sorry to report that we experienced a septic tank issue last week. The issue was too disgusting to report in all its gore, so I'll just tell you how glad I am (once again) to be married to a civil engineer. With a specialty in wastewater management. How lucky could I get?
Plus: Now we can shower again. Madeleine and Seven have walk-trot-cantered their way through six weeks of successful equitation. The stars are all in alignment and the hobby farm life is never boring.
Tomorrow I'm going to try to ferment and save some of the heirloom tomato seeds. Want to watch?

2 comments:

Misty said...

Truly beautiful...
Sans septic issue, that is.

QuiltedSimple said...

Love the sunflowers. Congrats to the girls on their riding abilities and ICK on the septic issue....
Kris